Durable Medical Equipment
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) is any equipment that offers therapeutic benefits to patients suffering from medical diseases and conditions. An orthosis is any externally applied device that is designed to achieve one or more of these goals:
- Control alignment
- Correct or accommodate a deformity
- Protect and support an injury
- Assist with rehabilitation
- Increase mobility and independence
In orthopedics there are 2 types of DME:
- These are orthoses that are fitted to the body and worn. These include; knee and ankle braces, wrist/hand/elbow supports, shoulder slings, postoperative shoes/orthotics, back braces and cervical collars. They are used to support and stabilize weak and traumatized muscles and bones.
- These are used to assist with daily living and provide support to complete challenging tasks like crutches, walkers, and canes.
Braces are used to stabilize any body part that requires it to heal, and protect against further injury while letting you do daily activities. They are prescribed by the physician and our staff of certified orthopedic technologists fabricate and fit them to give you an individualized fit and provide specific instructions for use.
At Orthopedic Specialists of North County, we treat patients from San Diego, Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, Carlsbad, Encinitas and Solana Beach, California. We take pride in our work and strive to provide our superior expertise, training, skills, and advanced technologies to offer you the personal attention and caring you deserve.